Google’s Panda and Penguin became game changers to the world of SEO. In order to succeed in this vastly changed world, businesses need to focus on site, social, content, and linking to gain ground in the SERPs. Here are 12 tips in these 4 key areas to help businesses with their SEO success in 2013.
Make sure your site is as easy to find for people as it is for web crawlers. Your website should be designed with this in mind. Businesses can utilize these tips to ensure their site is properly optimized for SEO.
• Submit your sitemap – A Sitemap is a list of all of the pages on your website and is lets Google know about your pages and their content. Google offers more on Sitemaps in its Webmaster Tools.
• Title Tag and description – Make sure the site pages have a unique title tag and relevant descriptions with keywords
• Use Alt-attribute for images – Use keywords in alt-attribute and alt-description telling web crawlers what the image contains.
Social Media is becoming increasingly important
Businesses need to focus their attention on social media. Google has admitted that social signals are indexed so social media marketing has become more important than ever. Here are some social media tips to help SEO:
• Businesses that want to be indexed quickly need a Google+ Page. Make sure your profile is optimized, get in as many circles as possible and encourage +1’s.
• Post links to any content you produce and encourage likes, +1s and shares and use keywords and images in posts frequently.
• Consider offers, contests and promotions on social media as these are often shared virally.
Content is King
You’ve heard it before, but it’s worth repeating: Content is King now more than ever. Businesses simply must be creating and curating great content that others will consume, enjoy and share. Here are some tips to add SEO value to your content:
• Use Google’srel=”author” tag to get great SEO benefits.
• Make sure your keywords are researched frequently and use both long-tail keywords and short-tail keywords.
• Use keywords in your anchor text, but make sure they don’t disrupt the natural flow and aren’t overused.
Link building for 2013
Link building may have changed with the introduction of Google’s Panda and Penguin, but links are still a necessity and must be obtained naturally. Here are some tips for natural link building:
• Create your own infographics, videos and images and allow others in your industry to use them for free, as long as they provide a link.
• Request links from people you do business with, or get links from organizations you donate to such as colleges, teams or non-profits.
• Offer your blogging services to others in the industry as a guest blogger and get lots of links.
Clearly, SEO has changed but if businesses focus on these 4 key areas and incorporate these 12 SEO tips, they will reap the benefits in 2013. Businesses needing more information on these or other SEO strategies can contact us for expert advice.